We have something in common, we all do. We started as babies. I know, I know…too obvious right? And just as obvious is the fact that we soiled diapers, cried when we were hungry and laughed at funny faces. But more importantly…we ate cupcakes – yes, cupcakes. You probably don’t remember this, but we even ate them the exact same way. We sat in a highchair, reached for our favorite frosty flavor, and consumed about 10% of it. So what happened to the other 90% you ask? The breakdown goes something like this:
30% Covered our nose, cheeks, lips, hair, hands, shoulders, arms and hands.
30% Ended up in the dog’s belly
20% Landed on our bib
10% Never made it off the high chair
We never once, (I repeat) – NEVER – thought twice about the 90% we couldn’t get off the runway and into our pie hole. What mattered is that we managed to get a whopping 10% in contact with our taste buds. What mattered is that we had fun doing it. What mattered is that we lived in the moment. What mattered is that we somehow knew we’d eventually be able to consume an entire cupcake…or at least 98% – just like an adult.
This week, I invited a few coworkers to eat a cupcake as if they were still in a highchair. They all wholeheartedly refused. (And that’s even before I said I would be filming the adventure.)
THE CHALLENGE: Try something new, anything. Just try 10% of something. Forget that you will be the laughing stock of all your fake friends on social media. Forget that you will glue all ten fingers together the first time you try to construct a paper airplane or that you will burn the house down trying to invent your own gluten free gingerbread soldiers. Have fun wasting 90% of your efforts! If you enjoy 10% of your new adventure, keep it up…eventually you might even be ninety-something percent good at it.